New in-person and online groups starting soon. Find out more…
- Do you value the company of other men but struggle to share your innermost problems with them?
- Do you want to do a better job of raising your kids than your father was able to do with you?
- Are there times when you think you’re letting your kids down, when you’re unsure of the right thing to do?
- Have you read the self-help books and the parenting guides, but find that you’re still struggling with the fact that you just didn’t have a good role model?
Welcome to Father Lessons, where I explore and share wisdom, life lessons and insights about fatherhood, allowing you to assemble the toolkit that your father couldn’t give you.
I’ve done my best as the father of three kids and I’m proud of having done a lot of things right. But I’ve got a lot of things wrong, too. And I’ve rarely felt able to fall back on “What would my Dad have done?”
So, over the last few years, I’ve been on a journey to learn more about myself, my relationships and fatherhood. Along the way I’ve had some amazing and transformational experiences, and I’ve picked up practical lessons that have worked for others and stories that we can all learn from.
The most significant step I’ve taken was to join a men’s group. It literally changed my life. I was so positively impacted that I went on to train as a Therapeutic MensWork Facilitator, am currently training as a Counsellor, and will soon be launching my own Men’s Group.
RECENT FATHER LESSONS BLOG POSTS
- The Male Friendship RecessionI had assumed that my own relative lack of close friends was due to having moved country twice in the last decade. And as I’ve got older, making new friends has just become less easy. Or I’ve put less effort into it. Whatever – the fact is that my circle of male friends that I hang out with has got smaller and smaller over time. But I’m far from alone in this.
- Dele Alli’s Mental Health StrugglesIn the mid-2010s English footballer Dele Alli was tipped to be one of the biggest stars of his generation. He was a key player both for his Premier League club, Tottenham Hotspur, and in over 30 international caps for England, and he was a two-time PFA Young Player of the Year. Off the field he exemplified the glamorous, high-profile lifestyle of the rich young athlete.
- I Asked ChatGPT – Why Join a Men’s Group?Curious to finally see what all the fuss is about with AI and it’s most currently most newsworthy representation, I decided to ask ChatGPT a simple question. Here’s what it produced in just a few seconds.